John's Great Big Read - 100 classic books in 156 weeks...

Monday, February 1, 2010

The Sound and the Fury - Part 1

What the ***** was that all about. Well at least this book came with a warning, in the form of Richard Hughes' Introduction. He encourages the reader to persevere past the first section which really makes very little sense at all. In fact he suggests reading the book a couple of time. Clearly he has no idea of my schedule. The first section recalls April 7th 1928 as perceived by a 33 year old 'congenital imbecile'. There are 10,000 characters with names that give no indication of gender or whether black or white. There's also a bit of time travelling me thinks. I've made it to the next section June 2nd 1910 and I think there might be a bit of hanky panky going on between brother and sister and an impending suicide, but since I don't know who's who, their ages, their relationship to each other, or what time we are in, I'll hold back on pretending I have any real grasp on anything so mundane as narrative or plot. However, I do have a hunch that someone might have given this book to James Joyce to read, and we know where that got us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont think I will read this one....


Paul